LEGAL AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT
In general, the Legal Affairs Department is responsible to draft, review, amend, translate and screen and provide legal sound comments on legislations developed by the MOJ, other ministries and federal institutions of the Federal Republic of Somalia before submitting them to the Council of Ministers (Cabinets) for approval in compliance with legislative principles and best practices, including constitutionality lines, international human rights standards, manual drafting code, harmonization and Nomo technical rules. The department also provides legal drafting training and guidance to the staff members of the Ministry including both legal drafters and Legal Drafters Assistants, MOJ’s permanent staff members and staff members of other national entities involved in law and policy making procedures in the country. On the other hand the department constant gives necessary advices to the top management team of the MOJ and other national institutions if required by facilitating and making all needed legal stepladders.
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE KEY FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To draft, review, amend and provide legal sound comments on the legislatives and policies that initially develops the Ministry of Justice or have been received from other federal government (FG) or Federal Member States (FMS) institutions and prioritize them as necessary;
- To harmonize and match legal drafting mechanisms in the country by following up corresponded procedures based on the constitution, other existing national laws, custom, social value and international legal drafting standards;
- To organize and conduct public consultation regarding on the laws and policies that initially have been developed by the Ministry of Justice of FGS and give support of understanding to the audiences;
- To organize and conduct legal drafting trainings in the Ministry of Justice and outside of the Ministry especially FMS levels;
- To support other departments of the Ministry including legislatives department to develop their local regulations and have commonly agreed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); and
- To register and record laws or polices and other legal instruments that have been worked on and accomplished by the Unit via making “Bill Tracker” hand book.
- To develop and present national harmonized translation procedures based on trans-parented rule of law processes and international legal interpretation standards;
- To translate all vital regal documentations such as laws, polices, conventions, agreements etc. and other instructed papers from foreign language into Somali language or from Somali language into foreign language as may been needed;
- To prepare and distribute translation tools and guidelines for the ministry and other national institutions when they require any support from this section;
- To organize and conduct trainings on translation mechanisms in the Ministry of Justice and outside of the Ministry especially FMS levels as required; and
- To register and record translated documents that have been worked on and accomplished by the Unit via making “Bill Tracker” hand book
- To receive and record all agreements and international conventions which the Federal Republic of Somali is part of and also work on to prepare legal tools for ratification and signatory processes for the international conventions;
- To work on and prepare prioritizing schedule for the signature and ratification of agreements and international convention;
- To prepare and provide legal sound comments on all initiated and received agreements and international conventions and ensure whether these international conventions are deserved to be recognized in Somalia or not by referring to the constitution, other national laws, custom, social value and international standards; and
- To organize and conduct trainings on agreements and international conventions which the Federal republic of Somali is part of them in the Ministry of Justice and outside of the Ministry especially FMS levels as required.
- To prepare and present public legal advisory procedures by ensuring to complement and standardize all levels of recommended expedients;
- To provide advises and legal instructs to the top leadership of the Ministry, other national agencies and public society as required;
- To work on and monitor up the establishment processes of the constitutional mandated committees or commissions that the Ministry of Justice is responsible to work on their formation such as Judiciary Service commission, Federal Constitutional Court, Independent Anti-corruption Committee etc.; and
- To work with other national legal entities and correspond their legal interpretation activities in order to further develop together national rule of law standards in the country.
THE SECTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Policy and Legal Drafting Unit (PLDU)
- Legal Translation
- Agreements and International Conventions
- Public Legal Advisory
ADDRESS AND CONTACT OF THE DEPARTMENT’S DIRECTOR.
P.O. Box 629, Mogadishu-Somalia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com