Correctional Affairs Department
About the Department
It is one of the core departments of the Ministry of Justice of Federal Government of Somalia which monitors and oversights prison’s situations, detainees, rehabilitation centers and the progress made towards the rehabilitation of prisoners. The department is mainly responsible for searching the rights for the individuals convicted of either a serious crime or other crimes in order to receive justice in the jail and to reintegrate back into society when they’re released. It also advocates for children’s rights in the central prison or other jails and rehabilitation centers by following up the quality of jails or caregivers of the centers for the purpose of child rights protection. Overall, the department monitors and implements of national and international human rights treaties.
The Functions of the Correctional Affairs Department
These are the main and crucial functions of the department that undertakes either daily, monthly or yearly but not limited to only these:
- Monitoring and over sighting of prison’s situations, detainees, rehabilitation centers and the progress made towards the rehabilitation of prisoners.
- Strengthening the working co-operation between the Ministry and Corrections corps.
- Collecting street children and youth at-risk for rehabilitation.
- Improving Corrections corps and its productive infrastructure.
- Maintaining the record statistics of Prisons and detainees of the country.
- Management of the department’s staff and their promotion based on their ability and talent
The Department has Four Sections:
1. Correctional Facilities and Custodial Section
2. Prisons Supervision & Monitoring Section
3. Justice for Children & Rehabilitation Centers Section
4. Social work & Formal Education Section
ADDRESS AND CONTACT OF THE DEPARTMENT’S DIRECTOR.
P. O. Box 629, Mogadishu-Somalia